Homemade Savoury Crackers Recipe
This savoury cracker recipe is the genius of Peter – he created this one in our kitchen! We’ve made ‘seeded crackers’ before and now we can add these to the options list. And… they’re much easier (and quicker) to make!
Δ 1 cup wholemeal plain flour
Δ 1 cup plain flour
Δ 1/3 cup sesame seeds
Δ 1/3 cup poppy seeds
Δ 1 teaspoon salt
Δ 1 teaspoon baking powder
Δ Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Δ 30 ml olive oil
Δ 150 ml water
- Mix flours, salt, baking powder, seeds and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add olive oil and mix well.
- Add 80 ml of water and combine to form stiff dough. Add water in small increments, so as not to get the dough too “sticky”.
- Knead the dough well for 2-3 minutes , then set aside to “rest” for 20 minutes, (can store in fridge during this time)
- Divide the dough into 4 even balls and roll out really thinly on baking paper. Aim for a thickness of about 3mm.
Hint: Use a pasta machine to get an even thickness – much easier than a rolling pin!
- Place rolled dough onto lined baking tray and use pastry cutter to score to desired size.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes at approx 210 degrees Celsius, or until golden in colour. Cooking time is crucial. It is advisable to test at 15 minutes for crunch. You can always cook a little longer, but if they burn they are ruined, so keep a close eye on them!
- Makes about 300grams of crackers (dry weight)
- Store in an airtight container and enjoy with cheese, dips or relish etc.
Variations: You could add different seeds (whichever you like!) and add some ground cumin or grated parmesan to change up the flavours – let your imagination run wild!